I could be mistaken, but I am of the opinion that the Jewish Bible – while saying much about the salvation of the Jewish people – says very little about the salvation of anybody else. It is also my opinion that the salvation of the Jewish people has more to do with the sovereignty of G_d than it does with gaining His forgiveness. In fact, I will go so far as to say that in the “Old Testament” the sovereignty and Kingship of The Creator owns 98%+ of all the ink with the remaining 2%- is devoted to everything else.
So what does this have to do with the topic expressed in the title of this piece? Simply this: if anyone is really interested in personal salvation and world peace then (s)he should leave the Jews alone.
Now, I’m not talking about the guileless supporters of the nation of Israel or those of the Jews in the Diaspora (actually, these are the same entity); they are more than welcome. No, I’m talking about the glad-handers and back-slappers who patronize us as witless victims with one hand while picking our spiritual pockets with the other. I’m talking about the missionaries, that evangelical throng that feels the necessity to save the Jew, driven by the same peculiar onus which drove one of our daughters to save all the boxes her toys came in over a period of ten years. Really! That’s how they think. Otherwise why would Pat Robertson, a chief spokesman for the evangelical camp, say something like:
"You must realize that the God who spoke to Moses on Mount Sinai is our God. Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are our spiritual Patriarchs. Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and Daniel are our prophets. King David, a man after God's own heart, is our hero. The Holy City of Jerusalem is our spiritual capital. And the continuation of Jewish sovereignty over the Holy Land is a further bulwark to us that the God of the Bible exists and that His Word is true." (Taken from a speech entitled Why Evangelical Christians Support Israel)
In other words, a Jewish Israel is merely the “holding tank” for all the neat stuff G_d plans to give to the “true believers”.
Therefore (and this is the main reason I submitted this piece), when dealing with a missionary…Baptist, Mormon, J-Dub, Messy-antic, J for Y’shka, non-denom, ad nauseam...keep these bullet points in mind:
1. The timeless message of the Bible is about the sovereignty of G_d, not forgiveness.
2. Salvation of the world depends on the obedience of Israel to its Sovereign.
3. The missionary is condemned by G_d as counterproductive to His cause.
4. A Jewish Israel isn’t the box, a Jewish Israel is the gift.
5. Therefore, leave us alone…we’ll be fine.